Let’s Get Back to Our Roots
Dear Pastors,
As an informant on the marriageability index for Black
couples, I come to you in a state of grievance on this issue. Black couples are facing an epic dilemma in
these times. No one is getting married anymore, if so, not to Black women. This drastically affects the amount of Black
couples uniting and actually staying together.
I believe that it is upon the shoulders of the Black church to keep
Black couples together. You all are the
leaders. You must unite, work on one
accord, and fight to educate and bridge the gap in order to extinguish the
plight of Black marriages. The current
condition of welfare, in addition to faded purpose of the original Black family
lie the two overarching themes that have caused a rift in Black couples
today. I present to you a plead to join
the fight to keep Black families together.
Welfare reform is a factor that has
caused a rift in Black marriages.
According to author Robert B. Hill, the original intentions of welfare
reform were to “provide assistance to needy families…end the dependence of
needy parents on government benefits by promoting job preparation, work, and
marriage, prevent the incidence of our-of-wedlock pregnancies, and encourage
the formation and maintenance of two-parent families” (The Impact of Welfare Reform on Black Families). While the original goal sounds great, it has
in turn caused a rift in the marriagebility index for Black couples. Blacks have been the least likely to get
married due to the stressors of welfare, making it much harder to keep a
marriage, let alone a family, together.
Fathers with low-income are required to pay higher monthly child support
and mothers are not able to attend drug treatment programs often, therefore
terminating their welfare. Not only are
mothers and fathers impacted, but grandmothers are often left with the brunt of
raising children even when they are elderly and feeble. This makes it a lot more difficult for Black
families to work.
Not only is welfare a problem, but
the “low ratio of quality Black men” (In Search of Love and Commitment, Audrey B. Chapman). This low ratio of eligible suitors due to the
amount of Black women gaining higher degrees and higher-paying careers. More Black women are going to college, while
more Black men are going to jail.
Something needs to be done about this rift. More Black men need Black mentors. A push to gain a higher education, or to
pursue a different form of success is necessary. More Black male role-models are needed in
order to solve this problem.
Thirdly, extinguishing the
stereotypes about Black women and Black men is a key factor. According to an article on “African-American
Women and the Male-Female Relationship Dilemma:
A Counseling Perspective”, “African-American men have tended to
internatlize the dominant view of African-American women as “undesirable”, “domineering”,
and “second-best”. These are disgusting
stereotypes and definitely do not represent the whole of the Black female
identity. We must lift one another up in
a positive light.
Getting back to Africentric theory
principles is a key solution in solving all of these issues that effect Black
marriageability. The seven Nguzu Sabaa
principles must be reinforced within the church, to unite African-Americans as
a community and lifting up one another in a positive light. This can be through creating small groups
where Black men and women can discuss biblical topics as well as practice loving
each other. This can also be done via
programs in the church that give back to the community such as providing rides
for mothers on welfare and the elderly, providing a tutoring program for those
in school of all ages, and a mentorship program for men of the church where
they can openly discuss issues amongst themselves, as well as go into
low-income areas of the city and create a bond and advisory relationship with
Black male youth.
Another theory that would be
beneficial is Empowerment Theory. This
theory builds the self-esteem of Blacks and gives them the power to make a
change. With this theory, especially
within the church, perhaps giving youth leadership platforms as well as more
leadership roles throughout the church, this can take place. Inviting members of all ages to practice community
service together and giving back in order to make a change is a great way to
solve this.
The marriagebility index of Blacks
is at a plight, but there is hope. I ask
that you join in with me to solve this problem, and to fight to increase
marriageability and effectiveness of African-American relationships
world-wide. Starting small can create a
great change. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Jasmine
S. Burditt
I agree with all of you main points in the addressing on the pastors. Growing up in a black church marriage is always addressed as a key factor in sustaining a healthy relationship and positive atmosphere in the home. For many people I know the black church holds more meaning to black marriages than for others for the reasons being that many blacks went through the black church to get married although it could not be legally recognized. It appears to me that many of these relationships were founded on ideals of just pure love for one another. There were not many issues surrounding factors involving finances, education, and stereotypes that plague our generations today. Because families are so involved in trying to support themselves financially and have to find government assistance, this definitely affects the qualities that we look for when deciding our mates and who we plan to spend the rest of our life with. We definitely need to acquire better feelings towards each other in regards to how we view each other & find a way for black men to appreciate their female counterparts so that we can start building more black families into our communities.
ReplyDeleteJasmine,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your approach to this assignment in presenting it as a letter/appeal to the Black church. I never thought of using the Black church as a medium for enforcing the Nguzu Saba Principles, but I think that it would have a lasting impact because for many, the Black church is highly influential. I liked your suggestion of creating small groups in which Black men and women talk openly about their relationships and connecting it to Biblical principles. I think it would also probably be beneficial if the negative stereotypes of Black men and women were also discussed in these same environments. I also really like the idea of a mentorship program for young men as well as empowering African American youth in the church through leadership roles. I know that growing up, my church often had youth Sundays in which the youth choir sang and youth ushers also served. These were probably very critical in making the youth feel a part in serving the church.
One thing that I think would have been particularly helpful would be to include the information about Black Marriage Day to celebrate openly Black marriages in the church and to in a sense highlight the significance of these partnerships as examples to other young black couples and even youth.
Overall, I really enjoyed your essay.
I also like the way you approached your assignment, it was very creative and made it easier for me to read. I agree with all of your major points in your paper, but a couple stood out to me more than others. You stated that the Church "must unite, work on one accord, and fight to educate and bridge the gap in order to extinguish the plight of Black marriages". Though some churches are already taking action, I do believe this is true. The church may not be the root of the problem, but it can definitely be the foundation of the solution.
ReplyDeleteI also wanted to point our you comment on the dominant view of black women. "Undesirable", "domineering", and "second best", these terms and phrases are so disheartening and I believe that truly have an affect on the female psyche. This may be the reason why some of us become angry and "overly independent". To me this says, we have no choice but to take care of ourselves because nobody wants us, and we'll never be good enough for society.
I love the fact that you brought up small groups as a solution! I was just talking to Major about recent issues going on, and I immediately asked him, what can we do to fix this. He pointed out that we need people to know Jesus to alternate their perspective. As individuals, we need to have mentorship programs and spread the gospel.
I agree with both of you, and I'm ready to make a difference!