How much rap did you watch when you were a teen? I remember coming home everyday when I was
growing up to shows like Smart Guy, Sister Sister and Evan Stevens, etc. I also remember that when 5:00 rolled around,
it was time for 106 & Park – BET’s top ten video countdown. Never did I stop to evaluate what was being
shown on this program. Almost every
video featured women who were half-naked and men with champagne bottles and big
jewelry. The lyrics were not uplifting
at all either. Not all of these videos
were like this, but the majority were.
What has changed now?
After viewing the video shown in class I realized that not
much really has changed in the realm of hip-hop. I had seen this video before in another class
some years ago, and viewing it again made me even more aware to these things
that the Black community is faced with in the world of Hip Hop. The commentator in the video stated that Hip
Hop is the cancer to Black people. This
is sad, to think about a genre that we are the face of, is seen as negative and
portrays negative images. My qualm with
this is that showing one side of what Black people go through is fine, but the
positive sides need to be shown as well.
It would be nice to have a more intellectual type of hip hop blown up
with rappers like Lupe Fiasco and Common to name a few. These will never be the face of what people
first think of though, because as people will say “sex sells”. In watching a documentary on video vixens on
VH1, a commentator noted that “crack sells” too. Just because it sells and cashes out does not
mean it’s good or beneficial, it can actually be something that tears a
community down.
The article on Images
of Sexual Stereotypes in Rap Videos and the Health of African American Female
Adolescents really opened my eyes to the discussion of the effect of hip
hop on young women. One has to wonder
why and how more and more women are wanting to be in videos or to date “bad
guys”. I can remember even from my
middle school years that I, too would make jokes and comments with my cousins
about being in music videos. We would
always argue about who’s going to be the girl by the pool, who would be the
“main girl” of the video, and who would just be in the back blending in with
the rest. That’s usually the recipe for
music videos. The face that the desire
or aspiration to be in a music video was prevalent says something about the
effect to which these roles are glamorized among young girls. The study, which found that the more young
females are exposed to these types of videos and messages means the more that
they will be willing to date young men who fit the role that these rappers put
on, to accept dating violence, and to be engage in more risky sexual behavior
really is astonishing. I have to ask
myself what can be done about this because it’s not just something of the past,
it’s very much still a current issue.
The article on Enhanging
Critical Consciousness in Young African American Men: A Psychoeducational Approach was an
uplifting source to the problematic outcomes of the images and messages in hip
hop. The Young Warriors program aims to
educate young Black men on the messages that are put out in hip hop, and
engages them in dialogue and discussion amongst themselves about these
things. I love the fact that it creates
a space where young Black men can come together, look up to other respectable
Black men, (creating alternative positive images for them), and where they can
learn to openly discuss issues with other men in general. The article also incorporates three of the
Nguzo Saba principles. The creed of the
program promotes Kujichagulia, Umoja, and Imani. This is a beautiful aspect of the program
because it gets backs to the foundation of coming together as a community to
improve as a whole. I think that it’s
great that these young men are addressed because they can then pass that on to
the young women that they are friends with, come across, and potentially chose
to date. Not only are they coming
together to be able to discuss these things, but those discussions, I’m sure,
do not stop just at the program. This is
an example of a solution that has a lasting and spreading impact to tear down
the problems associated with the Black community.
I love the quote you stated about crack and how it also sells however just because it makes a large profit does not mean it is beneficial! It's is a scary sight to see when we realize that our young women in the black community are being influenced in so many ways just from media alone. The negative depictions of the black community within media is overwhelming and like I stated within my blog I feel that we have to give the younger generations and understanding that being a black man does not mean being hard or a drug dealer or any of those things as well as being a black woman does not equate exploiting yourself .
ReplyDelete