Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Service Learning Projects - East Austin and Gentrification

For the service learning project that I am apart of we are attempting to spark dialogue, conversation and awareness around the gentrification that is currently impacting the Easy Austin Community.  East Austin, a couple of decades ago, was comprised of mostly minority residents.  Recently, there has been heavy gentrification going on in the East Austin community. 

What sparked my interest in this project was a conversation with my grandmother about how things once were in our neighborhood. I grew up in East Austin and she has lived there the majority of her life.  My grandmother informed me one night of the togetherness and sense of the Nguzu Sabaa principles that were carried out throughout the neighborhood.  Once before, people would work together, would help each other out when bills were due, buy groceries for residents who could not afford it, bring in speakers to speak to the neighborhood on ways to use less energy and lower their bills, etc.  It was pretty much like a community that worked together.  I took a look at how my community is now and realized that it's completely different.  I also noticed the fact that the East side of I-35 is becoming heavily populated by more Caucasion people, and that more minorities are moving out.  I had to think to myself why this is happening and what the effects are. 

In efforts to enlighten the East Austin Community and spark conversation about these changes, my group mates - Julie and Cynthia, and myself came up with the proposal to create a documentary that would raise awareness and gain more insight on the positives/negatives of these changes. 

To implement and carry out this vision, we have each collected video interview of past and present members, as well as activists for the East Austin Community. 

We will combine these interviews to share it, pass it along, and perhaps come to a conclusion and create more awareness surrounding these recent changes.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is amazing that you are giving back to the very same community that you grew up in! I tutored in east Austin a year ago and not only the neighborhoods but also the schools are not ideal and I think it is a great thing to bring awareness to these areas in hopes of change for the communities.

    ReplyDelete