Discussion today was extremely enlightening. I feel like most of the things that were discussed were very touching because it made the readings so much more real. Hearing from people who are actually Black and Queer and their stories make the readings come to life. Terms such as pansexual, sisgendered, and F-M were completely oblivious to me prior to this panel discussion. Although some of the terms were a little difficult to understand, just the knowledge of what Queer people that are Black go through as far as identity was informative. Hearing their personal stories about coming out and their lifestyles was interesting as well.
The article Strange Bedfellows discusses the strange relationship between African-American democrats and Republican Conservatives on the issue of gay marriage. This relationship was mentioned in class by Dr. Gilbert in a discussion this past week. I never thought to stop and reflect on this strange union between the Black Church and White Republicans in order to completely ban gay marriage/equal rights for gays. This is an interesting communion, as throughout history the 2 have been opposed to one another. The fact that 60% of African-Americans are opposed to gay marriage represents a correlation between the angst against homosexuality in the Black community in general. I do believe that it is difficult for Black politicians to speak on homosexuality when the stigma against it is so large. People automatically believe that because someone supports gay marriage means that person is a homosexual. I believe that until we can throw off the negative stereotypes and stigma that comes with being homosexual, can Black heterosexuals and homosexuals work together.
Good post! I learned so many terms yesterday too that I didn't even know existed! On my run after class, I was telling some of my teammates about all these terms and what they mean. I like that what we learn in class are things we can actually apply to the real world. I feel most of the information in other classes goes in one ear and out the other since it's not applicable!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that it is for Black politicians to speak on homosexuality .They have the most to lose especially if they are speaking for gay marriage or homosexuality in general since 60% oppose the idea. I think the CNN video we watched in class can show that more and more African Americans are starting to realize that excluding a community for who they are is similar to what African Americans went through with slavery
ReplyDeleteI agree that hearing the personal stories and learning new terminology allowed me to connect to the LBGTQ community more than ever. Although I have friends who identify as gay or lesbian I never really thought about the struggles that they face because I look at them just as I would to a heterosexual friend. The class discussion was def. an eye opener in the sense that I can now understand some struggles that they do face in closer view.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about how the guest lectures real life stories made the readings come to life. The stories actually made me connect with the gay-black community and really realize how hard it is for homosexuals to come out to their loved ones and to continue to live in a black community. I do agree that the relationship between the African American Democrats and the white Republicans is a strange relationship.
ReplyDelete