Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Black Men, Black Women, and the LGBTQ Community

Young Black Men Prefer Black Counselors


Christopher T. Freeman touches on some crucial points in his article on Counseling Black Men.  If only 2% of psychologists are African-American, this means that a lot fewer Black men are going to be willing to seek counseling.  In his article, Freeman pints out:  
"While some studies have shown that Black clients prefer a Black counselor to a White counselor, other studies have shown that a Black clinet's preference for race of the counselor is related to the client's stage of racial identity development" (p. 76). 
After reading this article, it does not appear to me that the majority of Black men have been able to gain a tight grasp on this area.  Either that or many are within a cultural framework that "discourages sharing personal family matters with a stranger" (p. 76).  With these components, it becomes inevitable that the necessity for more Black counselors is crucial in order to encourage more Black men to seek counseling if/when needed.  Although these psychologists may be strangers, they would share one thing in common - race.  To add on to that, for the counselors that are not Black, a strong sense of how to work with clients of color is huge in order to promote healthy and effective counseling for the Black community.  

Areas of concern for Black men include:  Anger from Racism and Oppression, Feelings of Invisibility, Issues Associated with Masculine Role Strain, Adolescents' Issues, Educational Issues, Employment Issues, Group Counseling Issues and Family Therapy Issues.  In just reviewing this list it's overwhelming to consider all of these areas.  Just knowing that these, and possibly more issues, are what Black men are facing creates a notion in my mind that more counseling and resources are so necessary.  Not at all saying, as Freeman states at the end of the article, that every Black man faces all of these issues, but awareness of these different issues does need to be made clear.  


__________________________________________________________


Self in Community:  African-American Women's Views of Self-Esteem


Before reading this article, I couldn't help but remember what I learned about minorities and self-esteem in my Adolescent Development course - "African-American girls have the highest self-esteem out of any ethnic group".  When I first heard this research finding, I did not believe it.  I had heard of the concept of "strong Black women" and understood that sense, but what self-esteem could be left when one's identity and culture are completely stripped away?  It seems to me that in comparison of African-American women and African-American men, the two genders have taken completely separate routes in identity development.  Although women in general are plagued by the media of images of what "beauty" or "normal" is, African-American women seem to be labeled as having the most positive self-esteem, even through this.

In the article, Victoria L. Defrancisco and April Chatham-Carpenter review a study that was done with 21 African-American women ranging from ages 21 - 69.  The study was composed of two parts:  1) In-Depth Interviews and 2) Follow-Up Focus Groups in which only 12 of the original women participated.  The two components of self-esteem for Black women found were social support and self-reliance.  Defrancisco and Carpenter found that other themes of pride, respect, positive outlook, and the use of self-talk emerged out of the two central themes.

In reviewing these two central themes, I realized that I grew up with many of what the women in the study discussed.  I, too, grew up with a strong foundation in church and prayer, neighborhood support whenever I played outside with friends, encouragement from church members to do well in school and that my possibilities were endless, and most importantly a strong sense that I must take care of myself, that no man will do that for me.  I can relate to much of what the women in the study were saying but even in having this relatedness or parallels, after viewing the video in class - A Girl Like Me, I had to ask myself about the other part of self-esteem that must be lacking and what exactly that is.

After viewing the video in class I realized that many of the color issues within the Black community that were dealt with in slavery are still at the forefront today.  The issue of light skin/dark skin is still an issue.  The doll test that was performed in the video was probably the most heart-wrenching scene when the Black girl was strikingly hesitant and even seemingly disappointed when asked which doll resembled her.  Having to choose the Black doll seemed to be a huge let-down for her.  This is where I have to question what is missing in the self-esteem of Black girls.


__________________________________________________________


Found:  85,000 Black Gay Households

Alan Dang and Somjen Frazer review the circumstances faced by Black same-sex couples in America.  Dang and Frazer hi-light the various was Black same-sex couples are hit harder than are White same-sex couples such as health care and home-ownership.  The authors aim to target anti-gay campaigns that target Black same-sex couples.  In refuting these claims by anti-gay organizations, the similarities between Black opposite-sex couples and Black same-sex couples are discussed.

Dang and Frazer educate their audience on these similarities by first off noting that Black same sex and opposite-sex couples face the similar sting of oppression.  The difference is that Black same-sex couples are hit much harder.  Similarities also include raising foster or adopted children at the same rate as Black married opposite-sex couples, raising biological children at about the same rate, be in long-term stable relationships with one another and serving the military.  Before reading this article I had no idea that Black same-sex couples were bearing these conditions.  Yes, I was aware of the struggle for equal rights among all same-sex couples and was aware of stereotypes that Black same-sex couples undergo, but the tons of other adversities they face are alarming.  This led me to think more critically and consider more about the Black gay community and their struggles.  I viewed an episode of the Tyra show some years back when the "Gay is the New Black" debate was emerging.  What are your opinions on this statement?



__________________________________________________________


The Choice to be Gay


After reading the compelling article by Leonard Pitts, it seems as if being Gay is not a choice.  This links strongly to the argument that it is a choice to be gay, and a sin that one should stop committing.  In the Black community oftentimes being "gay" is like a taboo.  It is frowned upon by possibly one of the worst things one can be, especially for Black men.  In Christianity, gay is probably one of the sins that is most despised and talked down upon.  The question then does appear - is it as simple as gay people ending their choosing to be attracted to the same sex?  According to Pitts, it is not that simple and being gay is not a choice.


__________________________________________________________


Understanding the Marginalization of Gay and Gender Non-Conforming Black Male Students

 
In my opinion, addressing homosexuality in the Black community is crucial after reading this article.  I was already aware of the taboo and stigma in the Black community against being homosexual due to conversation with friends and hearing about horrific hate-crimes or people being outcast.  McCready addresses issues that Black homosexual young men in particular experience and ways that teachers can combat these issues - awareness and implementation of that awareness. 

I feel that in addressing homophobia in the Black community, it's something that's going to take some time to evolve into a more accepting notion.  My brother considers himself bi-sexual and has for as long as I remember, tried to hide that from family and people in church.  To his friends, he is completely himself but to others he seems to close off a sense of who he really is.  Creating a space for homosexual gays to outwardly discuss and combat the issues they face can be a way to raise awareness of the gay struggle in the Black community.

As far as on college campuses, I think that a space is necessary to be created for Black homosexuals in order for them to be able to have a place to feel a sense of belonging.  Just like Asian-Americans can have clubs and organizations, and the swim team has their sense of belonging because they practice together and attend the same competitions, perhaps if the Black gay community had an organization where they could come together, voice their issues and brainstorm solutions, this would be helpful in educating the Black heterosexual community on these issues and ways to help one another.


__________________________________________________________


At Least I'm Not Gay:  Heterosexual Identity Making among Poor Black Teens

 
The abstract focuses on a study done in low-income areas among Black teens.  The synopsis holds a stance that heterosexuality is a way to become sort of superior, even in a low-income area, over homosexual individuals.  For African-American gay and lesbian teens this means that they are automatically placed in a threatening place since it is looked down upon.  Their sexuality is not considered the "norm", so they become targets.  Coming out for Black gay and lesbian teens would be extremely difficult, especially in Quadrant IV.  Froyum notes in her article that conforming to strict heterosexual roles in poor areas "allow[s] girls and boys to fashion themselves as moral, legitimate, and superior to others:  benefits they otherwise lack".  This means that heterosexuality is a way to place oneself at a higher privilege than those who live opposing lifestyles.  For Black gay teens, this means that even more odds are put up against them, already with being Black, but in Quadrant IV compromised of "culturally lost, maladaptive  behavior", coming out for homosexual teens can be an extremely threatening phenomenon.

I found a video that goes over the life of a young Black man who is homosexual.  In the video he discusses how it's not the easiest thing being gay, Black and living in a low-income area.  I noticed a lot of similarities in what was discussed in the video and what Froyum talks about in the article.




__________________________________________________________


The Homophobic Test

In going through the questionnaire on homophobia located on the PBS website, I noticed a pattern in my responses.  I became more aware that while I don't mind having friends that are homosexual, which one of my closest male friends is, I am not exactly "in favor" of gay marriage.  This is just my opinion and what I noted after going through the questionnaire.  Homosexuals do not bother me, but I probably wouldn't be the first, or last, in line for a rally on the passing of homosexual marriage.  I believe that this links strongly to my faith in God.  I don't think that gay people are bad people at all, and I believe that God loves them equally as he does heterosexuals.  From the things that I've witnessed in my life, heterosexuals are guilty of so much more crime and hate than some homosexuals that I've encountered.  I believe they are all human just as much as anyone else is.  Homosexuality being a controversial topic, I don't necessarily agree with the lifestyle.  Just because I don't agree though, does not mean that I do not love or care about people who live that life just as much as I do about those who don't.  If anything, I strongly believe that homosexuals have been oppressed, especially in the Black community, in so many ways and this is unfair.  Something does need to be done about this. 





























No comments:

Post a Comment